The world’s biggest noncontinental island with the world’s smallest population. Which place can it be? Greenland of course! reenland is not a cheap destination, but few places combine such magnificent scenery, such clarity of light and such raw power of nature. With few roads to be found under the snow you only transportation options are helicopter, dogsled, ski, snow scooter, or boat. Which makes it very expensive, unless you want to travel by foot, but it’s not recommended! The Greenlanders are a blend of the people of the traditional Inuit population and Danish blood. Greenland. Greenland is actually a part of Denmark, but you probably knew that already 😉
Thing you didn’t know about Greenland:
- It’s called Greenland because the Viking, Erik the Red, desired to colonize it and lure people from Europe to the island. He was a liar… It’s not green. (Imagine the disappointment!!)
- The ice sheet covering 2/3 of the island is over 2 km thick.
- The suicide rate is very high, and Greenlanders have a problem with alcohol consumption as well.
- According to the legend, Qivitoqs are half-dead half-alive as strong as animals who roam the land at night. Sounds creepy doesn’t it? Kind of like zombies?
- There are few land mammals in Greenland: polar bear, reindeer, arctic fox, wolf, arctic hare, musk ox and stoat and all in all around 500 plant species.
Looking for a perfect weeknight meal with fish. then this is amazing. it’s quick, easy and delicious!
So this week we are cooking a dish from the Falkland Islands! The Falkland Islands are an isolated archipelago and can be found somewhere South West of Argentina, but strangely they are part of the UK. Although the Argentinians still envy the British very much, since Argentinians consider the Falklands theirs. About 25 years ago they even had very bloody war about it that lasted 72 days. The capital of the Falkland Islands is Stanley the most Southern capital in the world. Well capital might be a big word since only 3000 people live there. See why I used isolated now? 🙂 Things that are very normal to use like movie theaters and big departments stores can’t be found. In fact there are only 2 supermarkets in the entire archipelago!
Things you didn’t know about the Falkland Islands:
- London and the Falkland islands are at the same latitude. 52 degrees! Although London is of course on the Northern Hemisphere and the Falkland Islands on the Southern Hemisphere.
- The international airport on the Falkland Islands is one of the only ones in the world located on a military base. It is called Mount Pleasant.
- Almost everyone in the Falkland Islands owns a four wheel drive car since a lot of the roads on the Islands are unpaved.
- They have a tradition, nobody knows where it comes from but the Falklanders seem to think it’s lucky to pin your shoe on a hill they call Boot Hill nowadays.
- A lot of islands that have really strange names like some crazy drunk pirate named them for instance: there is an island called Whisky and next to it you can find island Rum.
With only 3000 inhabitants it’s hard to find a national dish! But after a long search I found something! This fish is amazing!
Ingredients: Two fresh mullets, hot wok, 100g of grated potatoes & carrots & turnips, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, vegetable oil for frying, 0ne tablespoon of cornflour for seasoning.
For the Hollandaise sauce:500g butter, 6 whole black peppercorns, 25 ml tarragon wine vinegar, 3 egg yolks
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper
- Shape into cakes and using a metal ring , pan fry on both sides
- Transfer to medium hot oven for 15 minutes
- Using a hot smoker or wok smoke the fillet of mullet for about ten minutes until fish is tender and moist
- Melt the butter gently
- In a saucepan reduce vinegar by half with peppercorns
- Using a food processor whisk egg yolks and incorporate the cooled reduced vinegar. Then incorporate the butter until sauce forms.
The Arctic! Coldest place on earth. Home of the penguins. Antarctica has no population, it is not a country, it’s not a part of a country(although many countries have tried to claim it, it does not have its own language. The entire continent is only being used for scientific research. Scientists come and go on average there are about a 1000 people on the continent. What surprised me is that it is also the driest continent, it rarely snows it doesn’t melt. The no citizens part makes my job really hard, no citizens means no cultures or traditions, which results in NO NATIONAL DISH! I screened the entire internet and found nothing that I think qualifies for a national dish! yes they eat beef Wellington on Christmas Eve in the research centers, but I don’t think that counts. There are no cows in Antarctica , so no beef, because that’s cheating! The only thing everyone in Antarctica eats and knows are sledging biscuits. The biscuits that they eat during expeditions, to stay alive. Honestly I do not have a good feeling about this. I think they are going to be dry and tasteless. But who knows they might turn out amazing
I made them and I was right! They were not very good but this is for the people who really really really want to give an arctic party but I recommend you stay with fish sticks, and popsicles in the shape penguins.
Ingredients 150 g whole wheat flour (1.25 cups), 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 30 g butter (full fat, unsalted, 2 T.), 50 ml cold water (3T. plus 1t.)
Pre-heat the oven to 190C (375 F.).Sieve the flour and baking soda together into a mixing bowl, then add the salt. Rub in the butter with your finger tips until you have combined the ingredients to resemble breadcrumbs. Slowly mix in the water until a malleable ball of dough forms. All the dry ingredients must be evenly incorporated, yet the dough should not be sticky.
Lightly flour a smooth surface and roll out the dough so it is 2 cm thick (0.8 inches) and fits a large baking tray. Transfer the dough onto a lightly greased baking tray and cut into 5cm (2-inch) squares. Prick each square with a fork. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the dough just starts turning golden brown. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.